Jam Star Cookies
Create a cluster of twinkling stars
- 150 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg
- 300 grams plain flour
- raspberry jam (or your favorite jam flavour)
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan bake)
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Add the egg and mix until combined. Add the flour gradually, mixing until you have a soft dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chilled dough from the fridge. Cut it in half and return one half to the fridge.
- Dust the bench with a little flour and roll out the remaining half to 5mm think. Use cookie cutter to cut out 20 stars. (this gives you 10 bases and 10 tops). Use a thimble or other small hole cutter to create holes in the centre of the 10 tops from the jam.
- Place the stars on the baking trays and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Repeat with the remaining dough until you have roughly 40 stars. The number will depend on how big you cutter is.
- Once cooled, place a small dollop of jam in the centre of the base cookie, dusting the top with icing sugar and place over the bases.
- I use a linzer cookie cutter to make the tops. It cuts both the outside and inside shapes simultaneously and saves a lot of time.
- Every oven is different, so use the cooking temperatures and times as a guide only and adjust if required. For example my oven at home seems to be extra hot! I always use a lower temperature.
Images and tips kindly provided by Christine Lowe
Follow her on instagram @christineluey
Recipe: Marty - The Backyard Cook